Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon followed and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph obtained its current name in 1870. Many settlers arrived for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Town was included in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a open public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and establish liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was planned, which happens to be the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the households after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The here milking machine became available in 1905 reducing the time to milk cows so more time more info could be allocated to crops and pet animal care. Immediately after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the warfare ended people were able to get their lives back again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. Together with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to stay together as part of your. Through a federal government offer, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph experienced a society of around 1050, burning off 10 heroic military to the war. The community remained strong and extended to improve the Town, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its drinking water supply, and continues to do so.